HomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

"Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ticalc2010
Admin

PostSubject: "Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas   Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:39 am

OK, I would have had this up yesterday morning, but I was logged out while typing it, and when I submit the post, I lost everything. So this attempt will be a little less detailed, and more of a bulleted-list form. Anyway, here is a summary of my ideas for the forum, and proposed alternatives. Feel free to reiterate your ideas for the server in response in this topic.

1) How to approach a trade system?
  • We could nominate trade moderators, whose job would be to ensure deals are upheld.
  • Doing so would ensure nothing despawns on the ground, and neither player cheats the other.
  • It keeps from adding more plugins that would need to be updated with every new Minecraft release.

Community response (And my reply)
  • Trade moderators could steal from the players. (If they did, immediate demotion and a potential tempban would follow.)
  • Trade moderators would also need to be online to ensure fair trade. (In which case, we can trade as we are now.)
  • Trade plugins are safer, reliable, and don’t need anyone online to help. (I wanted to keep the server as close to Vanilla as possible. Also, more plugins = more conflict in Bukkit updates)

2. a) What to do about griefers/griefing?
  • In the event that someone is griefed, what is it fair for the Admin(s) to spawn, if rollback doesn’t work?
  • Animals and chest content can not be rolled back, but also, cannot be proven to have existed. Much is placed on the word of the player.
  • Crops are sometimes broken when the tilled soil turns back to dirt, and rollback occurs. Should we respawn crops if player is unable to replant?
  • Redstone dust, repeaters, torches, etc. Items that water can damage and remove from placement, and after sufficient time, will despawn. What about those?

Community response (And my reply)
  • As I am the owner, I can spawn any items that I want to replace for people. (I don’t want to replace stuff that rollback can’t IF they have sufficient inventory to do so themselves)
  • Animals can be respawned up to a population cap of 2 per type. (I like this proposal, as animals can be extremely difficult to find, although tough to prove the animals were there to begin with)

2. b) What to do about the perma-banned griefers’ loot?
  • I was thinking about trying to write a script to redistribute the belongings of the griefers to the community.
  • It would scan the chests containing the items, and distribute random items to the players, at some time interval or similar.
  • Perhaps teleporting the players to a secret location one at a time, where a chest would contain their random items

Community response (and my reply)
  • But wouldn’t that give some players an advantage, if they got a random enchanted weapon or tool? (I don’t think it would, as everything else in the game is random as well. Skeletons drop bows, sometimes. Zombies drop carrots, sometimes. Enchantments are selected randomly. Villager deals aren’t all the same. Ore distribution is random. On and on.)
  • Shouldn’t the items be given back to the people who were griefed? (Most items that are taken can be rolled back, and as long as CHESTS ARE LOCKED, only placed items can be taken, along with animal drops. So, 99% of stuff will already have been returned.)
  • We don’t want this if it’ll add to the server lag issue we’ve been experiencing. (Teleporting to a location that has already been explored will not increase the total chunks being worked by the server. Likewise, every player already has a certain number of chunks being rendered around them, so that would create no further lag. The script itself would add negligible stress to the server.)

3. a) I am looking for an additional admin!
  • To ensure that assistance can be offered to more people, at a better response time, I would like to add a second admin to the server.
  • They would be tasked with helping identity griefing, as well as ensuring fair gameplay.
  • Commands added would give them power to spawn items and such, but in a way that can be monitored for abuse.
  • Players will only be considered if they PM me that they are interested

• What commands would admin be getting? (The basics, /fly, /give or /item, forced teleport, and multiple homes as they may need to jump around a bit. Also, the ability to inspect blocks for griefing, and potentially access to LWC commands to help with chest permissions.)
  • How would the admin be selected? I think we should vote on who we want. Leading for admin! (Players interested would have to PM me on the forum. For an admin position, I would like to make the selection by myself, based on the criteria I have in mind, so as to ensure all players are judged evenly across the board.)

3. b) I am also looking for 2-3 moderators!
  • Just as with admins, they would be in charge of helping to keep things flowing smoothly
  • Commands would be trimmed down from those of admin, but still a step up from regular members.
  • Whereas I wanted to select Admin myself, this would be a community vote, again with players who wish to be considered, applying via a PM to me.

• I think we should be able to pick people to vote for. (If you were selecting players without their applying, it is possible that somebody would win a position, with no desire to occupy said position. That would draw votes away from some of the others who would like to be a mod.)
  • Rather than selecting the admin without a vote, moderators should be voted on, and based on a period of performance, the best suited member, promoted to admin. (While I like this idea, I feel it would be beneficial to have another admin immediately. However, it will be considered.)

Well, as far as my thoughts were concerned, and discussion directly related to them, I believe that about covers it. If I missed something, feel free to post here, as well as bringing any new ideas to the table. If your idea has a lot of parts, feel free to start a new topic instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noobishpro

PostSubject: Re: "Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas   Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:43 am

1) How to approach a trade system?
Now while the idea of having “trade moderators” is a good one, the moderating of said trade moderators needs a different approach. People want to trade whenever, not when one such person is on or even when they are.

I propose making it so they have a choice of calling for a trade moderator if they don’t trust the other guy enough. Otherwise, the trade moderator’s job would be to check that nothing happens to the trade area and receive messages from players who have been ‘cheated” as such in order to sort it out.

And last but not least, the trade moderators should have the “shop job”. I mean players can create shops, and then they designate how much a certain item costs to buy and how much it costs to sell. They can list the things they are willing to buy from others, and their respective costs, along with what they’re willing to sell to others, and their respective cost. SO now, when a trade moderator is on and that player isn’t, the trade moderator himself can do the trade for them. He would, of course, leave a message to that player saying what he has done, how much he sold/bought and at what cost.

2) A) What to do about griefers/grieifng?

Nothing to say, this is exactly what should be happening.

B) What to do about the perma-bans griefer’s loot?

This is interesting, but I agree with the fact that it would benefit certain players too much. You’re basing it on luck, so you should create a system around it on luck. Therefore, I propose the lottery game. Where you pay, say, 4 iron for a ticket for a go and it randomly gives you an item. This way people can complain you got lucky, but it’s not for free therefore there is nothing wrong with it. Also, it’ll be fun. And I know lottery is an in-accurate word, but I couldn’t remember the right word so deal with it.

3) A) I am looking for an additional admin!

The basics, /fly and forced teleport I agree with. Everything else is unnecessary, and this is coming from experience. Giving /give and /item will be unintentionally abused and unnecessary. Besides that, it causes the Admin to lose any sense of actually “playing” as such. An admin should be a regular, so they will have played enough not to need any item from /give or /item. I strongly suggest not putting it in.

Same with the multiple homes. When a player has been griefed, they should do the following: not touch the griefed areas, contact an admin or moderator, and give the co-ordinates. The reason is even if you know they are griefed, you can’t check it out if they’re not on at the same time. Yet multiple homes will not help either, the only reason an Admin needs to jump around is when a griefing has occurred so through getting the co-ords or having the player on the multiple homes become unnecessary. (multiple homes will not really help without that anyway).

The ability to inspect blocks is an absolute necessity, along with any other commands that “check” what players have touched etc. LWC commands, I can see being useful. While I can call them not needed, there’s a chance they are and it’s better to have them then to not. They should also be able to open any chest.

Think of an Admin as this: "A player who maintains the server, and goes out of his way to help in any way necessary or unnecessary". Considering this, it does not mean he stops being a player himself. That is why giving unnecessary commands to an Admin, that does not benefit/help the community in any way, shouldn't be done. Only the Head Admin should have such, as in the creator of the server.

The admin position should always be chosen by the creator, and not the users. You may wonder why, and it’s pretty simple.
All user opinions are biased. It’s a fact, and it’s why you’re never asked to vote on these matters. Therefore, I completely agree with tic’s idea.

B) I am also looking for 2-3 Moderators!

The idea of a period of performance is a really good idea, yet if you feel the need to have an Admin now then I won’t say anything.
---
Also, sorry for the late reply as such. I've been away for a few days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xinoph

PostSubject: Re: "Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas   Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Just something to add about what's being said on trading. What we could do is have a strict method in trades. Something like as follows: First, the two players clear their inventory apart from the items that are being traded (unless admin can't view other players inventories). Then they should meet up, either at spawn or at a designated trading centre. Both people involved should then specifically confirm their trades, ensuring both fully understand and accept the trade (e.g. "So, 3 iron for 7 gold, is this right?" "Yes, 3 iron for 7 gold."). Doing this will ensure the admin/Tic can see the trade that is meant to take place. Finally, they should both drop their items on the floor at the same time and take their new items.

This system might work better with something like this /watch?v=Rm1m-QvVQgM . The redstone isn't too complex but I would be happy to build this myself. This would just make sure both parties get what they want.

I hope this helps the decision, I do see now why plugins are not always the best option.

Xino
Back to top Go down
View user profile
noobishpro

PostSubject: Re: "Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas   Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm

Xinoph wrote:
Just something to add about what's being said on trading. What we could do is have a strict method in trades. Something like as follows: First, the two players clear their inventory apart from the items that are being traded (unless admin can't view other players inventories). Then they should meet up, either at spawn or at a designated trading centre. Both people involved should then specifically confirm their trades, ensuring both fully understand and accept the trade (e.g. "So, 3 iron for 7 gold, is this right?" "Yes, 3 iron for 7 gold."). Doing this will ensure the admin/Tic can see the trade that is meant to take place. Finally, they should both drop their items on the floor at the same time and take their new items.

This system might work better with something like this /watch?v=Rm1m-QvVQgM . The redstone isn't too complex but I would be happy to build this myself. This would just make sure both parties get what they want.

I hope this helps the decision, I do see now why plugins are not always the best option.

Xino

nice idea but, as I said before, we want to encourage players to "trade fair" not to make it a hassle to trade at all. This should be an option instead, if the persons trading do not trust each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beastman_389
Admin

PostSubject: True   Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Ya if like someone new on the server wants to trade and u don't really now them you can still trade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ticserver.forumotion.com
Xinoph

PostSubject: Re: "Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas   Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:59 am

Oh, yeah, if you trust the person then it should just stay as it is now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas   

Back to top Go down

"Summary" of Friday Night's Ideas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1